I got this question in a YouTube comment.
Unfortunately, this viewer has it completely inverted.
Consider these three things:
- Dialogflow CX has no free tier
- CX has a much steeper learning curve
- CX is still in Beta, meaning nearly no one (except perhaps those who have direct access to the Dialogflow CX dev team) is using it with any sort of confidence.
In fact, here is a Twitter exchange I had with a CX developer advocate. It is a good idea to read it carefully one more time.
Especially this response:
So the more practical approach would be to begin building your bot in Dialogflow ES. If and when it becomes too complex for ES, you should consider moving it to CX.
A systematic process for migrating to Dialogflow CX
So how to do this systematically?
Learn Dialogflow ES thoroughly, and move to Dialogflow CX when your bot becomes too complex for ES.
How to learn Dialogflow ES thoroughly?
I am obviously biased in favor of my own course material. 😉 But it would be a systematic process.
- Learn Dialogflow basics well using the step by step Dialogflow guide
- Learn about the must know features
- Learn about ES features you should avoid from my Dialogflow Blackholes course
- Understand how to design more complex Dialogflow conversational flows using the Dialogflow Conversation Design course
- Most important: Understand the flowcharting process I recommend and actually use it.
The quickest (and probably most efficient) way to do this would be to get my Core Dialogflow course bundle.
When to start using Dialogflow CX
So when should you start using Dialogflow CX?
Here is my rule of thumb: if you find that the flowchart you have created using my process is too complex, then I would recommend moving to CX at that time.
This has some obvious benefits:
- You can use the free tier of ES initially
- You will get the benefit of using all the existing Dialogflow ES integrations
- You will already have a working proof-of-concept Dialogflow bot. This completely de-risks your CX bot. Otherwise you will start paying before you even know if your bot will work as expected.
- 3 ways to pass parameters between intents in Dialogflow ES
- Do this when Dialogflow ES matches the wrong intent
- How to bulk upload intents from a CSV file in Dialogflow
- How to move bot from Dialogflow CX to Dialogflow?
- Understanding Dialogflow service account roles and their use cases
- Course Discounts
- How to debug Dialogflow Python webhook using ngrok
- EU VAT MOSS Tips for online course creators
- How to integrate Dialogflow into your Flutter app
- Get your DialogFlow agent to initiate the conversation before user types a message