I have been writing a series of articles based on some of the common knowledge gaps I see in the clients that I help out with coaching. One of these knowledge gaps is that they don't know about the Prebuilt SmallTalk agent.
First, a little history.
When Dialogflow used to be API.AI, about 5 years ago*, there was this really awesome feature called the SmallTalk domain. If you came to Dialogflow recently, you might not have known that along with the smalltalk domain, there were also other domains you could enable inside an agent.
The great thing about the smalltalk domain was (and is) that it added some cool smarts to your chatbot by giving it some automatic "chit-chatting" abilities.
The bad thing about the smalltalk domain was (and is) that you had almost no fine grained control over it.
Here is what the Domain SmallTalk looks like inside your console:
The prebuilt SmallTalk agent
Sometime in mid-2017, API.AI introduced a set of prebuilt agents, including one for SmallTalk. It had most of the abilities of the smalltalk domain, but it had a really useful feature - you could just import the entire agent in one shot (by using bulk copy of intents), and now you could modify all the intents and their responses right inside your agent. There was no way to control this with the SmallTalk domain.
There were quite a few people who chose to turn off the smalltalk domain because they had no way to control it, and it would sometimes interfere with their own intents.
You didn't have to worry about this with the prebuilt smalltalk.
So my suggestion to you is to only use the prebuilt smalltalk for your agent and not use the smalltalk domain. Here is where to find the Prebuilt SmallTalk agent:
Watch this video to learn how to import the prebuilt smalltalk into your agent:
How to Close those knowledge gaps
Want to speed up your learning and not spend time wrestling with these knowledge gaps? I suggest you get my DialogFlow Basics and spend a couple of hours today watching all the videos. 😉
*I mean in internet years of course. The name change happened in Oct 2017 🙂
- Why I avoid using slot filling (required parameters) in Dialogflow
- Free Tool: Convert your WordPress website into a Dialogflow FAQ chatbot
- Dialogflow Mega Agent Tutorial
- Reader Question: Will followup events work when an intent has an input context?
- How to learn Dialogflow in a week
- Reader Question: Do I need a contextual fallback intent for every single context?
- Reader Question: Can I use a single agent for Facebook, WhatsApp and website bot?
- Five ways to integrate a Dialogflow chatbot into your website
- BotFlo vs Dialogflow CSV Importer
- Build Better Dialogflow Bots