I got this question from a course student:
Dialog Flow, we developed agents and Intents using UI, But in the real production system, do we use language (python, java) to do the same what we are doing using Dialog Flow UI?
There are a few questions here:
- can we use a programming language to automatically create Dialogflow agents?
- should we use a programming language to automatically create Dialogflow agents instead of the UI (for e.g. it is too time consuming if the intents are repetitive)
- is there a third option?
Dialogflow provides a REST API
Since Dialogflow exposes a REST API which allows you to programmatically create intents, entities etc, it is possible to create Dialogflow agents using Python, Java etc.
Dialogflow's UI capabilities are its biggest strength
I have mentioned this before, but Dialogflow's biggest advantage is that you can do a lot of stuff within the conversation layer itself, while not dumbing it down to the level of Chatfuel. In other words, you can create powerful NLU based chatbots using Dialogflow. This means the non-programmer can still write the intent training phrases, decide on the entities and contexts, and design the conversation flow. Once the conversation layer is designed, you can ask a programmer to write the code.
So while you can programmatically generate Dialogflow agents, for the most part you will not be making use of its strengths if you actually do that.
The agent ZIP file
Dialogflow also allows you to export the entire specification of the agent as a ZIP file.
This means there is also a third option if you are creating an FAQ chatbot (which usually has a lot of intents but not very complex conversation flow): you can take advantage of the Dialogflow agent ZIP file. For example, you could type out all the intents in a CSV format and write some scripts to autogenerate your Dialogflow agent.
- Dialogflow Messenger Interactive Learning Bot
- Dialogflow Messenger Checklist bot
- Dialogflow Messenger decision tree chatbot
- BotFlo relaunch update
- Dialogflow Messenger: How to respond to user clicking on suggestion chip
- When NOT to use follow up intents in DialogFlow
- Dialogflow Context Lifespan
- Reader Question: Creating Dialogflow agents in web UI vs using code
- Dialogflow Messenger tutorial
- Do I need to hire a developer to build MY chatbot idea?